Thursday, September 10, 2009

Worlds Have Orbited Since We Last Spoke

Seattle was an amazing experience. I have been hearing about my Banibridge Island for years and now that I was on the ferry traveling there it all started to become real. Mu Uncle Bill and Aunt Johanna live with their two children Claire and Alex just west of Seattle on Bainbridge Island.

It is an ideal place to be cause it has a small town feel with all the perks of the big city at your disposal. The warmth of the people and the Coffee Shops and Farmer's Market welcome you imediatly and pull you into the family that is BI. I got to take one of the hardest bicycle rides I can ever remember with my Uncle. Quentin T's new film came out and I found a theater in walking distance that was playing it. What's with this trip and Nazi Films?

Later that night I went with the whole family to Claire's Ballet recital wich was about as drastic a contrast as you could get from Ingloriuos Basterds. It made for a full and very interesting visit.






Well since Seattle and our last conversation I have traveled for many moons. I rode south from Seattle through WA state and pulled into Aberdeen, WA, birth place and memorial site of Kurt Cobain. Upon entering the town you are greeted with a sign that reads Welcome to Aberdeen, Come As You Are.


I was guided by an unseen force to the sight where Kurt's ashes were scattered into the Wishkah River. There is a memorial and a plaque with some quotes of Kurts. The whole thing affected me more than I thought it would. Leaving Aberdeen was a sad event but if anything could cheer me up The Goonies could. I crossed into OR and was greeted by one of the most amazing bridges I have ever crossed. It popped me down into Astoria, WA where the film The Goonies was shot. The high cliffs and bay opening into the Ocean turned me into a tweleve year old boy and I suddenly got really excited. I found a Rouge Dead Guy Ale Resturant and got a giant hot dog and a freash brewed Rogue Rootbeer Float. The resturant was on a Peir int he Bay and gave me a chance to really relax and soak in the events of my day. HWY 101 south out of Astoria spits you out into the Pacific Ocean and a view of the Rock Formations used in the film.

I took a ride into Ecola State Park to get a better view of the coast. The entire OR coast was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Every three minutes there was a vista point to stop and view the cosast.

Magnific!!!! I was going to meet a friend in Eugene but was unable to get int touch so I camped for the night and the next day made a burn for CA. I stayed in Redwoods NP the following night and rested among giants.

The next day I had a long burn for San Fransico. My friend was going to let me stay at her house so I didn't bother making any calls to get a place to stay. I arrived in SF at 10:15PM and realized that all the numbers I had for people were old and my firend was out of town. I made a call to my friend Todd who hooked me up with a PIMP suite in downtown SF. After a month in the woods and on the back of a motorcycle a five star hotel room will warp your mind.
The next day all my peeps showed up and the most recent leg of my journey was complete. I was ready for my launch countdown to Burnning Man and a week that would change the rest of my life. I just didn't know it yet.
That is another story.

JAMM

No comments:

Post a Comment