Wednesday, August 26, 2009


So I am in Seattle, WA. I took a ferry ride into the city from Bainbridge Island to get some breakfast and look around a bit. It has been an eventful week and a half. The weather finally dried up and Harvest could begin. I have to say that under as much stress as everyone in Potlacth ID was they were all very kind and took the time to show me the ropes and teach me a little about the machinery and process of harvesting that much wheat. In the same circumstances I would have not been as calm and collected. I guess that comes from years of farming and being able to understand that none of it is really in your control. The landscape was unbelievably beautiful and the process of driving the combine was surprisingly intense.

I found out about a possible job in NOLA so had to move onto my next stop before I got to see the fields bare and the job done. I left Thursday morning and rode through the rest of "The Palouse" region, look it up cause it has and amazing history, and passed through a few hundred miles of desert. The temperatures got to be above 104 on my bikes TEMP gauge and I had to find some shade more than a few times and cool off. As hard as the heat was it was still dry heat and once I hit David Lynch Land the weather cooled off and gave me a beautiful ride through North Bend and Snoqualmie where Twin Peaks was filmed.

I had to be a dork and stop at Twede's Cafe and get a piece of Cherry Pie and a "damn good cup of coffee". Ironically enough the pie and coffee has made my stomach screwed up for a few days now.

Snoqualmie Falls is reason enough to visit that town, not to mention the Pacific Northern train cars and weird petrified wood samples lining the roads. All appropriately bizarre for Twin Peaks world. The temp really dropped once I climbed the pass and made it over the Cascade Mountains. 82 degrees and cool. As exciting as Chicago was to ride into I-90 through a tunnel and over lake Washington was equally impressive. After a few wrong turns I made it to the ferry that carried me across Elliot Bay to Bainbridge island to my Uncle Bill's house and a hot meal and a bed.
Lots more to come
ENDURE<
JAMM

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you are having a great ride Jason. I ran into Steve (electrician; BMW F650) at the Rue, and he mentioned your blog. Steve said you might head out to the Playa to watch the Man Burn. Can't wait to hear your impressions. Been a few times me-self :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete