Thursday, August 13, 2009

Well, let's see now, where were we?

I feel like I am made of jello. It's hard to lift my arm to drink a glass of water let alone lift my 700lbs motorcycle off the kickstand.
I am in Sidney, MT in a little motel soaking up the AC and electricity. The my last post was a week ago in Chicago so...
I was too busy having fun in Chi Town to get a chance to write. My friend Karina finally got some days off work and had a chance to hang out and show me her neighborhood. I have a new 2nd favorite Whole Foods, sorry Austin. The highlight of my trip to Chicago was getting Karina on my motorcycle. After a short ride she was anxious to try and ride so I let her take the bike up and down her street. Within three minutes she was off and rolling. After twenty she was coasting to a stop and taking off out of first without putting her feet down. After a half hour she was whizzing by in third gear and screaming her ass off. It was one of the most amazing things to watch and was the perfect end to my stay there.
I left Chicago on Mon the 10th and rode to drop off a seat to a guy named mike who I met through the BMW club in IL. He was kind enough to lend me his extra seat so I could take people for a ride while I was in Chicago. He also spoiled me by letting me borrow his custom Rick Mayer seat to match. Thanks again Mike.
After dropping off the seat I headed north to Milwaukee to get some oil and a new pair of gloves. That detour set me back a bit but my gloves were well worth the trip.
After Milwaukee I made it as far as Madison, WS and crashed for the night.
For the next three days I did noting but ride, eat and sleep. I went west of Madison to meet back up with the River Road. North from their took me through St. Paul and Minneapolis. Two twins I would rather not ride through again. I headed up to Fargo. Joel and Ethan lied to me. There was no snow to be seen and it was 101 when I rode through Fargo. What a total contrast between expectation and reality. Never the less, I rode through Fargo, ND on my motorcycle. HA!
After Fargo I hit 94 for longer than I had planned. A nice gentleman named Red told me about a few good roads in ND and was nice enough to pass along a map with some notes on it. I have to make a point to pass it along myself. With some amazing sunflowe fields my grandma would have loved.


ND was pretty brutal. Mostly flat prairie land which makes for some nasty winds. I made it as far as Jamestown and looked up a primitive camping spot the said "No Fees" This could mean so many different things. My first reaction was an overcrowded, underkept dump, see "Lousisiana No Fee Camping", the exact opposite was true. It was one of the best camping spots I have ever come accross. The weather was perfect and the view was even better. The only mis calculation was drinking a five hour energy drink three hours before you try to go to sleep.


From their I wandered through the rest of ND and made it just across the border to Sidney, MT.
Tomorrow is a burn for Glacier National Park and destinations not yet known.

Endure, JAMM

No comments:

Post a Comment